Hands-down, hand-held ice cream is just better. You’ve got the contrast of crisp cookie and creamy ice cream. And ice cream sandwiches are best of all, because their packability allows you to make and freeze them ahead or even add them to a (well-insulated) picnic basket. Here are some of our favorites.
- RecipePastelitos, a triangular Cuban pastry filled with cream cheese and guava paste, is a Floridian favorite. In this ice cream bar reimagination, goat cheese stands in for cream cheese, bringing extra savory tang to mellow some of the sweetness.
- RecipeSubstituting almond butter in a traditional peanut butter cookie recipe gives an American favorite a modern upgrade. The flavor is more sophisticated and complex, and it can be enjoyed by those allergic to peanuts.
- RecipeThere are many surprising layers in these decadent sandwiches, but it’s the fragrant lychee glaze that amplifies the juicy berry flavors of the ice cream.
- RecipeWith ginger incorporated three ways, this spicy dessert packs considerably more punch than any ice cream sandwich you’ll find in your market’s freezer section. You can add another layer of flavor by rolling the outside edges of the ice cream sandwich in shaved chocolate, mini chocolate chips, or chopped and toasted nuts.
- RecipeModeled after the Italian ice cream sandwich using gelato and brioche, this sweet duo combines two iconic summer ingredients, blueberries and peaches. Unlike most cookie-based ice cream sandwiches, which can be assembled ahead of time, these are best assembled just before serving
- RecipeIt's hard to find an ice cream that doesn't pair well with these chocolate cookies. Toasted unsweetened coconut in the ice cream provides coconut flavor without making it too sweet, and toasted sweetened coconut on the outside of the cookie gives a pleasantly crunchy texture all coconut lovers will enjoy.
- RecipeA simple slice-and-bake technique makes this cookie quick and efficient. Plus, it produces uniformly sized cookies. This recipe yields double the cookies you will need for the sandwiches. Freeze extra cookies for later, or double the ice cream and make more ice cream sandwiches.
- RecipeStore-bought coffee ice cream is often too tame. If you make your own from a vanilla ice cream base, you can give it more punch with instant espresso powder. To match the intense espresso flavor, you need a strongly flavored cookie like this one with brown sugar and molasses.